Legislative Update Week 5
Posted 2/03/17 (Fri)
Week 5 of the Legislative Session
Click here for the updated tracking grid. We lost a lot of the bills relating to economic security.
Big hearings this week relating to anti-discrimination, minimum wage, and refugee resettlement. NDWN worked with allies in organizing attendance and testimony. All of these bills have a tough journey to the best outcome.
- We supported HB 1386 to add sexual orientation to the anti-discrimination bill. We support extending equal rights to all and ask that the legislature do the same. Contact House Human Services to urge a DO PASS recommendation.
- The House Industry, Business, and Labor Committee heard testimony for HB 1263, a bill to raise the North Dakota Minimum Wage from $7.25 per hour to $9.25 per hour. The committee already recommended a DO NOT PASS to the full house. Please contact your house member to vote YES on HB 1263 and give North Dakotans a raise.
- HB1256, which would authorize dental therapists to practice in North Dakota, is headed to the House floor soon. The House Human Services recommended DO PASS on the bill. HB 1256 will make it easier for women and their families to get the oral health care they need to live productive and healthy lives. In North Dakota, this could include poor children and pregnant mothers on Medicaid, both of whom are eligible for dental benefits. HB 1256 also has the potential to improve the economic health of women and their families across North Dakota by providing an additional career option that pays well, including in rural areas. We need you to contact your REPRESENTATIVES and ask them to uphold the committee’s recommendation and please vote YES on HB1256.
Today the bill that would trample on the refugee resettlement program had a long and powerful hearing. The room was packed and many New Americans shared their story. The hearings are still going on late Friday afternoon. Show your support for New Americans and that ND is a welcoming community by urging the House Government and Veterans committee to make a DO NOT PASS recommendation on HB 1427.
- email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hearings of note for next week:
- 02/06/2017 09:45 AM SB 2315: Relating to use of deadly force in defense of premises and property; and to amend and reenact section 12.1-05-07 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to limits on the use of force and deadly force. Senate Judiciary Fort Lincoln Room
- 02/06/2017 10:30 AM SB 2309: Relating to the establishment of a domestic violence court pilot project; and to amend and reenact section 12-60-23, subsection 9 of section 12.1-31.2-01, subsections 1 and 3 of section 12.1-31.2.-02, section 14-07.1-02, and subsections 4 and 5 of section 14-07.1-03 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the issuance, transmittal, and registry of protection orders and orders prohibiting contact. Senate Judiciary Fort Lincoln Room
- 02/07/2017 09:00 AM HB 1392: Relating to the parenting rights and responsibilities; to provide for retroactive application; and to declare an emergency. House Judiciary Prairie Room
- 02/07/2017 10:30 AM HCR 3008: A concurrent resolution urging Congress to call a convention to propose an amendment to the United States Constitution which will restore free and fair elections. House Judiciary Prairie Room
- 02/08/2017 09:00 AM HB 1425: A BILL for an Act to protect the rights and privileges granted under the United States Constitution. House Judiciary Prairie Room
- 02/09/2017 09:00 AM HB 1412: Relating to the membership of the tribal and state relations committee. House Political Subdivisions Prairie Room
- 02/09/2017 09:00 AM SCR 4009: A concurrent resolution requesting the Legislative Management to consider studying the formation of an independent, nonpartisan redistricting commission for the decennial redrawing of legislative district boundaries in North Dakota. Senate Government and Veterans Affairs Sheyenne River Room