Legislative Update Week 10
Posted 3/10/17 (Fri)
Week 10 of the Legislative Session
Click here for the updated tracking grid. The bills we follow continue to decrease as the session moves speedily along. There are some important bills coming up next week.
We are thrilled to report that our bill to get a report on the Governor’s Commission on the Status of Women, House Bill 1405, received a unanimous Do Pass recommendation from the Senate Industry, Business and Labor committee on Monday. On Tuesday it passed the Senate by a vote of 42-2. We have confidence that it will be signed by the governor, but feel free to reach out at 701.328.2200 to help boost the chances.
Senate Judiciary heard the bill relating to Shared Parenting HB 1392 on Wednesday afternoon. The State Bar Association offered an amendment to remove the presumption aspect of the bill in order to preserve the opportunity for courts to truly maintain the best interest of the child as primary above all. The committee did not take any action at this point.
We sure hope to see you all on Monday at WE Rise. There are a few bills of interest to us being heard on Monday – and throughout the week.
On Friday, Senate GVA will hold the hearing on Voter ID. We are watching this bill closely as it is crucial our voting laws do not suppress the vote.
Finally, Senate Political Subdivisions will hear the Refugee Resettlement study bill on Friday. This is the bill that was the biggest win yet for the session. The bill sponsor was moved enough by testimony that he turned the egregious bill into a study.
Hearings Scheduled for Next Week:
- 03/13/2017 09:00 AM; HB 1222; Relating to the process for seeking a sexual assault restraining order; and to provide a penalty. Senate Judiciary Fort Lincoln Room
- 03/13/2017 10:00 AM; HB 1308; Relating to mandatory addiction screening for temporary assistance for needy families program individual employment plan participants; and to provide an effective date. Senate Human Services Red River Room
- 3/13/2017 02:00 PM; SB 2191; A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation to the attorney general for grants for SANE. House Appropriations Roughrider Room
- 03/14/2017 09:00 AM; SB 2144; Relating to workforce development grants for tribally controlled community colleges; and to provide an appropriation. House Industry, Business and Labor Peace Garden Room
- 03/14/2017 09:00 AM; SB 2203; A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation to the attorney general for human trafficking victims treatment and support services; and to provide for reports to the attorney general, legislative assembly, and legislative management. House Judiciary Prairie Room
- 03/14/2017 09:00 AM; HB 1166; Relating to the removal of triggered oil extraction tax rate changes; and to provide an effective date. Senate Finance and Taxation Lewis and Clark Room
- 03/14/2017 09:15 AM; SB 2251; Relating to substance exposed newborns. House Human Services Fort Union Room
- 03/14/2017 09:30 AM; SB 2290; Relating to the authority of the human trafficking commission. House Judiciary Prairie Room
- 03/14/2017 09:30 AM; HB 1292; Relating to issuance of a certified copy of a fetal loss; and to amend and reenact section 23-02.1-01 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to definitions in the Heath Statistics Act. Senate Human Services Red River Room
- 03/14/2017 10:00 AM; SB 2161; Relating to domestic violence program records. House Judiciary Prairie Room
- 03/14/2017 02:30 PM; SB 2256; Relating to the regulation of naturopaths; and to amend and reenact sections 43-58-01 and 43-58-08 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the regulation of naturopaths. House Human Services Fort Union Room
- 03/15/2017 09:00 AM; HB 1365; Relating to powers and duties of a guardian regarding medical decisions; and to declare an emergency. Senate Human Services Red River Room
- 03/15/2017 09:00 AM; HB 1041; Relating to presumptive probation; relating to sentence reduction credit, medical paroles, domestic violence offender treatment, grading of theft offenses, credit for time spent in custody, terms and conditions of probation, controlled substances and controlled substance paraphernalia, addiction counseling services, and the supplemental nutrition assistance program; to provide a penalty; to provide for the creation of a pretrial services program pilot project within the department of corrections and rehabilitation; to provide a report to the legislative management; and to provide for a report to the legislative assembly. Senate Judiciary Fort Lincoln Room
- 03/15/2017 09:15 AM; SB 2342; A BILL for an Act to provide for the creation of a task force on the prevention of sexual abuse of children; and to provide a report to the legislative management. House Human Services Fort Union Room
- 03/15/2017 09:30 AM; SB 2189; Relating to the confidentiality of children's advocacy center records; and to amend and reenact subsection 3 of section 12.1-34-07 and subsection 1 of section 27-20-51 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to reimbursement of the cost of forensic interviews and confidentiality of juvenile court records and children's advocacy center records. House Human Services Fort Union Room
- 03/16/2017 09:00 AM; SB 2343; Relating to campaign disclosure statements and use of campaign contributions. House Government and Veterans Affairs Fort Union Room
- 03/16/2017 11:00 AM; HB 1397; Relating to the introduction of bills by executive branch agencies and the judicial branch. Senate Government and Veterans Affairs Sheyenne River Room
- 03/16/2017 11:30 AM; HB 1431; Relating to the legislative ethics committee. Senate Government and Veterans Affairs Sheyenne River Room
- 03/17/2017 09:00 AM; HB 1369; Relating to identification and residency requirements for electors and identification cards; relating to qualifications of electors, responsibilities of election officials before issuing ballots, elector identification requirements, identification cards, and operator's licenses; and to provide a penalty. Senate Government and Veterans Affairs Sheyenne River Room
03/17/2017 10:30 AM; HB 1427; A BILL for an Act to provide for a legislative management study of refugee resettlement in North Dakota. Senate Political Subdivisio